Monday, June 11, 2012

Am I Lynette? 11 Jun 2012

Well, if I haven't shared it with anyone yet, I love watching Desperate Housewives! The character that I identify with the most is Lynette Scavo. Smart, practical, go getter, hard worker and strong. She has 5 kids with her husband Tom Scavo for 23 years. She is always dressed in slacks and a comforatble tee or a shirt and almost always, always has laundry with her. She is either collecting or folding clothes.Lol. Lately I have been watching the latest season of Desperate Housewives and was really upset to find Lynette and Tom seperated and on the brink of divorce. How could a steadfast strong couple like that find themselves on the rocks?
As they struggle through their seperation Lynette is shown introspecting herself. She wonders if she drove Tom away because she always wanted Tom to do what she wanted. She thinks about how she has manipulated him to take the decisions she thinks is best for him or their family. She kicks herself for cribbing about wanting things to be a particular way. Most of all she is sad for never letting him be. Having said all of this, Lynette as a character pushes Tom- a relaxed and easy going guy off the couch, sprinting towards goals. I always felt she made him realise his true potential and by being the more responsible one shoulders shitloads of responsibility. That was always the reason she would be exasperated to see her husband taking the easy way out or shirking making difficult decisions.
But the fact remains that her pushing Tom so much also ends up pushing him away.
When I watched that I couldn't help but think about myself. Am I like that too? Pushing BB all the time. Setting a benchmark for everything, making sure everything was perfect and wearing the pants all the time? It disturbed me quite a bit and for quite some time.

3 comments:

  1. I hate the term "Wearing the pants in the relationship" coz it tends to suggest male superiority and in case the female appears superior, she has male characteristics. Women are blessed with good sense and intuition. So it would do good for their male partners to acknowledge their sensible suggestions. I am sure BB is not a pushover and he takes your advice because it is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think wearing the pants all the time is a very good idea... except while taking a bath.. and..

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! hahahaha good one Chrys.

    ReplyDelete