Thursday, June 14, 2012

Gubbi started playschool 15 June 2012

Luckily I work in a company that allows us to work from home when the situation demands it. Just for people who don't know, every morning I drive to work for a good 1 1/2 hours and clock in about 8 hours at work and I'm back on the roads for a 1 1/2 hour drive back home. So being allowed to work from home comes as a huge relief. I try and work from home every Wednesday so that there is a mid-week break and I can trudge back to work for the next two days with renewed energy. Occasionally I work from home 2 times a week -when I'm not well, have a couple of errands etc. My MIL takes care of my daughter during the day. BB drops Gubbi in the mornings and I pick her up in the evenings.
This time the occasion was perfect. Little Gubbi has started play school. She is all of 2 years and 4 months and already carrying a school bag. Awww. Most parents do the horrible thing of scaring their child off school. They are always like, 'If you are naughty we will send you to school' or 'I'm gonna tell your teacher about this'. So the child hates the thought of school or teacher even before he/she actually tries it.
We did the reverse, we made it sound fun and exciting. We told her the teacher would love her, and there would be games and fun and all things nice. And if she was a good girl, she could get to go to school and play with all the kids there. So Gubbi was pumped about playschool. On the big day I chose to work from home and took a break at 10:30 am to run to my MIL's house where the playschool van was scheduled for a pick -up. Unexpectedly shestarted crying piteously and clung to me before being put in. MIL and I then followed her van by car to the school. The attendants were ushering the kids inside the playschool one by one. I peeked in through the rear window and saw my little Gubbi awaiting her turn and crying anxiously. When the attendant picked her up, I called out to her and said it was okay and that I would come and get her later. She looked relieved to see me but held out her tiny arms and called out to me "Mama, mama, mujhe aapke paas aana hai". My heart broke and I was misty eyed in a second. I managed to wave out to her smiling with great difficulty. When I turned to go, I spotted my MIL standing right behind the crowd with tears flowing down her cheeks... That's the kind of love only grandparents can have for their grandchildren. I may have many complaints about MIL but not loving or not caring for my child can never be one of them.
It is day 4 today, the crying has been ebbing. She seems to be having fun.
Sigh! I feel like such a grown-up already.

2 comments: