Saturday, July 7, 2012

The long walk home 8 Jul 2012

The time for this story has come. And some things just need tobe heaved off the heart. So I am going to tell you a story, a true story of what happened to me. Frank often calls me 'prude'. He tells me, 'Jen you are far too prudish for anyone to want to be close friends with you instantly'. When I ask him what it means, he scoffs and tells me - 'You always want to do the right thing Jenny. And people dont want to be around those people'. My belief in doing things right comes from my Dad who believed in the beauty of the meticulous. And my belief in karma has added rigidity towards rights and wrongs to my character.

But there was this one time that I faltered too. Many years ago when I was say in my twenties, I made a trip to Goa with my friends. It was easy to identify that the shops were touristy and highly overpriced. Walking along the streets near Calanghute, I came across the Tibetian silver market. I used to wear a lot of silver jewellery those days. Browsing throught the stalls, I quickly identified one stall where the designs were unique. An old articulate Tibetian/Chinese man sat at the stall on a lil stool. I tried on a variety of things and quickly chose 2 bracelets, a few pendants and earrings. I also like a blue enamel inlay on silver toe ring that I tried on.  When I asked him the total price, he quoted an extragavant price, much much above the real value. It was Goa. I haggled, he haggled back and then we agreed. While I put my things together to pack he noticed that there was a silver pendant which was a part of the deal that he hadn't noticed first.
He: 'Ma'am I didn't know this silver pendant was also included else I would have never agreed for this price.' he said reluctantly
Me: 'But it was!' (was true)
He: 'See, ma'am I would never allow this, but since I gave you my tongue(meaning meri zubaan, or my word) I will not go back'
Me: 'Great thank you'

He packed up the things,  and I paid him the money. As I was leaving, I noticed the blue enamel oe ring that I had tried on was still on my toe. I initially thought of bringing it up. But seeing his reaction to the silver pendant, I didn't want another drama. Honestly speaking the price was atleast 10 times more than what it should have been. Feeling justified, I walked off with my things, not bothering to be honest. 'After all he was over charging any way', I angrily thought to myself.  The blue enamel ring somehow seemed to set the balance right.  I guiltily talked to myself along the way, saying a bargain can be made either way by yelling or quietly setting things right. It was a long walk though for a person like me, brought up on very strong principles. My father was a stickler for doing the right things. I remember him asking us to go to the zerox shop if we requested him to take more than 2 photocopies of a page from his office.

My Goa trip ended and I went back to my routine. I wore the bracelet and loved the compliments coming my way. I wore it for... 4 days?The 5th day, I noticed it was gone! just like that from my hand! I combed the house and my office desk drawers and every place I knew. With  a heavy heart, I put it out of my mind. I finally wore the other bracelet I had picked up.
 2-3 days later that too just disappeared from my wrist. I hadn't removed it, the clasp was bitten down  tightened by my teeth.  I couldn't believe I was so careless. I went through the entire business of searching and screaming again. My mom couldn'tget her head around to ehether it was the same one or another one I was searching for.
 'But you just lost one' she said.
'Yes, I know' I snapped back impatiently.
Then the spookiest thing happened. Every one of the trinkets, I had picked up from his stall seemed to get lost. Either they just disappeared, or would get stolen or something freakish would happen to make them fall off my body when I was unaware.
By then, my nagging conscience was yelling at me. I watched everything go. In a way it made me feel like I deserved it or to some extent better even. Like things were being set right in my karmic equation. It was like karma truly came back around to tell me that it didn't take many years but just a few weeks to settle the score. All I was left was with the blue enamel toe ring. I had finally paid its price...in full.


No comments:

Post a Comment